Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Grocery Shopping

Let me start by saying I HATE grocery shopping. I never did much of it growing up, even though I was the "woman" of the house. It only got worse when I went overseas and had to carry my groceries home from the store. Really...AZDA (British version of Wal-mart) made it a nightmare. I have never viewed the grocery store the same.

Well, just as I'm finally starting to deal with the store, I'm diagnosed with Celiac. As if the grocery wasn't bad enough, now I have to read EVERY label EVERY time. Apparently manufacturers change things all the time and I can't really take any chances. We now hit up 4 different places over two weeks to stock the kitchen. Well, to my surprise, I headed to Costco for the usual purchases.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I've been craving some Italian sausage. As Mike and I searched through Kroger's and everywhere else, we have yet to find something without Gluten. Well, what do you know - I find TWO different brands at Costco that not only don't contain gluten, but are certified Gluten Free. Then, I find some chips, similar to Doritos that are Gluten Free. And next, rotisserie chicken GLUTEN FREE. I couldn't believe my success at the grocery! No, not because of me. But someone, somewhere, has paved the way. I am so sick of eating the same 5 "safe" things. Now, when I need something new, I'm headed to Costco.

No comments: