Tuesday, August 5, 2008

the right of way

I just returned from a relaxing walk around the neighborhood. Mike is off at Men's Time and I enjoy the quiet home once in awhile (although I'm getting more than enough without a job). As much as my life is far from extraordinary right now, a strange thing happened on my walk.

I was always taught to walk against traffic. Call me a rebel, but I ignore the sidewalks and walk in the street (only in neighborhoods), but I enjoy it. Tonight was no different. I was enjoying my outdated music and time alone and what seemed natural, I did. I walked, in the street, against traffic, no with traffic,...no against,... I found myself very confused. Yes, in America cars drive on the right side of the road, so walking, you should do on the left. In England (and others), cars drive on the left, so I would picture myself walking on the right. Somehow, I was completely lost. I had no idea which was right and where I should be walking. Yes, I know I've been taught to walk on the left, but after living in England, even for just a year, you train yourself. It goes away, but I guess somehow it comes back. I'm really at a loss, but believe me, what seems natural can change.

Another example, Mike and I spent this last weekend in Boone with Matt and Kristin for a little staff and wives retreat. Again, something bazaar. Mike dreamed in Italian. No we did not talk about Italy or meet any Italians. We did eat at an Italian restaurant, but that's the extent of it. Somehow, things become natural that shouldn't, or what should be natural, isn't.

So, as I mentioned before, Mike and I went on a little adventure around the city. Here are some photos of our city...keep in mind most of this is just a mile or so down the road from us.








1 comment:

M.Hendley said...

Love the thoughts and pics. Keep them coming!