Saturday, December 13, 2008

It is finished.

This time last week, I had no idea what I would encounter in the days ahead. Mike and I were able t escape for a few days and had an incredible break. I got greedy quickly and began longing for Christmas break and another weekend away. Sunday I felt sick again. And then...it was Monday.

We had already decided that it was going to be difficult to fit my birthday celebration, so Monday we had set aside for dinner. Monday morning, I received a phone call. The doctor. My results came back from the previous week - abnormal. They asked to schedule a epsoejaherj. I had no idea, what the lady was talking about. Finally, she said EDG and that I would be sedated so I needed a driver. I scheduled the appointment...Wednesday morning. And then I began my research.

The last script I had for blood testing was for celiac. Thanks to Google, I found EDG or Esophagogastroduodenoscopy. The short, they were going to shove a tube down my throat. Take some pictures and sample tissue. Being deathly afraid of throwing up and gagging on even the tongue depressor, I called back in a panic to see if I would be knocked out. She just kept saying, "IV sedation." I didn't want to know how or what, just to what extent. I wanted all to be OUT...completely. They couldn't give me the answer I was looking for.

So, Wednesday it was. We arrived an hour early and they started prepping me. I had a pretty little gown and cozy little bed and blanket. Luckily, I've gotten used to needles, so the pricking and saline IV wasn't a big problem. Surprisingly, I was able to relax. THANKS to all of your prayers! Right on time, they wheeled me in to the other room. I had two shots of something and then they had me turn over. That seemed like and easy task, until I sat up. DIZZINESS! She said that was normal. I made it over and couldn't open my eyes any more. She put something in my mouth...hard plastic. It had an opening for the tube to fit in, but was a bit uncomfortable. It was difficult to swallow, and I tried to pull it out. She didn't really like my stubbornness, so I think she gave me another shot. That's all I remember.

Next thing I know, I hear Mike. He was holding my hand and said "You can't have oatmeal anymore." Somehow my eyes opened. The doctor and Mike were with me. The doctor apparently explaining what he had seen. Meanwhile, I drifted in and out of consciousness. Somewhere along the way, I had a nice wheelchair ride, car ride, stopped for a coke, and made it home to the couch. Some things started to surface, and I began to realize everything going on. Drugs...and the results. Celiac disease. Finally, an answer. I have pretty pictures, or maybe not so pretty, of my stomach and intestines. The villi, they're dead. The treatment: Gluten Free Diet, for life. Yes, nothing with wheat, rye, barley, oats, etc. Fruits, veggies, potatoes are ok. Nothing else is...or so it seems.

And Bob's your uncle! The good and the bad. I am sooooo thankful for all of your prayers and support throughout the past two years or so along this long battle! It seems as though we have an answer. The biopsies, due back in a week, will confirm the accusation. For now, we are both thankful and distressed. We are very grateful for answers, but for me, I am searching for the way to make this normal. There seem to be quite a few options now. I have yet to find them. We are hopeful, very hopeful. It is just another chapter and transition period. Please keep praying for me during this transition. It seems as Celiac Disease is probably the end, but there does seem to be tendency for thinks to worsen and even lead to cancer. Like I said, we are hopeful. But we are also prayerful. Thanks again for ALL of your prayers, support, and encouragement!

OK, so more good news...we celebrated my birthday and Christmas this week. A new camera (and other photo goodies.) I am soooooooooooo excited! It's amazing what a step (or two) up can do. Take a look for yourself. I'm really hoping to get this photography business up and running sometime soon too. It will be a great day when that is my primary source of income for the family.



No comments: