Wednesday, July 16, 2008

the life of a Nomad

We're in RALEIGH!

We thought this would be a joyous celebration.  However, things crept up on us and our last few days in Orlando were chaos.  As we found out the house we were planning on living in was the center of a ghetto - literally with prostitutes, drug deals, and even arrests being made, we were on the hunt for something house.  We left quickly and drove slowly.  We arrived Sunday night to two exhausted and patient hosts.  Let the hunt begin!

Monday morning we had an appointment to see a house and then started canvassing the city.  We crossed a possibility off immediately after driving by and saw NOTHING of interest after our first interest.  This place was doing, great for a family and if it were owned.  There was no character, interaction in the neighborhood, and it definitely didn't feel like home.  After an agent locked her keys in the house and rescheduled for a later appointment, she told us about a new property becoming available.  Finally, some hope!

The next morning we rushed to see the place.  Perfect location.  Great neighbors.  Lots of character.  Big bedrooms...HUGE bedrooms.  And a pleasing layout.  Downside, not available for another month.  We searched and searched and searched.  NOTHING!  Too much.  Trashed college apartments.  Ghetto.  ETC.  Another day, and nothing to show.

So, we left Matt and Kristin's and headed for the North side of town.  A friend of a friend opened up his home to us.  Vacant, but furnished.  A place to ourselves...after 1.5 years of living with people, we like a place t ourselves.  Some big decisions for tomorrow and an interview at 12.  A quick bite to eat (I'm sick of eating out) and let's call it a night.  NOPE - breakdown!  Seriously, BREAKDOWN, manic depressive.  You would have thought the end of the world was coming. I simply wanted a goodnight's sleep and hot shower.  Oh yea, and some shoes to wear for my interview since all my heels are in a moving truck.  Well, hot water heater is busted.  Yep, nothing.  Zero.  I didn't get a shower.  I couldn't find shoes to wear.  The house was dirty and I was supposed to sleep in a stranger's bed.  I was feeling displaced more than ever.  Beyond the stress of being without a home and no leads, now I had no hot water and an interview in 12 hours.  Mike tried to comfort me, but he was thrilled with an excuse not to shower.  Not me - I was furious!

We dug out our own bed coverings and pillows from the car and called it a night.  We woke up early and Mike was ordered to clean the bathroom so I could attempt to get ready.  The tub was filling up with cold water while I was boiling three, yes, THREE, pots of water on the stove at a time.  After two rounds, there was enough water for me to get in.  It didn't take long before Mike had to make another round of boiling water.  I was shivering and still had no shoes.

So, off we went to Target.  I love Target.  But not today.  I was dreading the search.  Luckily, I found a cute pair of shoes.  Universal and $10.  They didn't quite match, but they would work.  Check!  Off to the interview.

We pulled in just in time.  The rest of the day was packed with appointments to view some more properties, but nothing seemed promising.  In I went and Mike was off with Matt to drive around and expand the house hunt.  I met the director and after shaking her hand, looked down to see my Rainbow sandals still attached to my feet.  I forgot to change shoes!

Interview went well, but nothing exciting.  The position is great, especially for a church plant.  There's just a lot of responsibility for little compensation.  Back to the house hunt...

Wendy's for lunch (at least I got a Frosty) and then rushing to the next house.  After a prolonged 10 minute explanation and signing of forms before we could enter, we found ourselves in a cute, quaint, awkward property.  A little overpriced, character, but nothing else worth mentioning.  So...15 extra minutes to spare before the next appointment, so on with more driving.  Across the street was the picture perfect Truman show neighborhood.  Super cute, but when I had called 1-2 months prior, there was a 1 year waiting list.  We thought we would venture in to see exactly how it worked.

We have 2 available:  1)  2 bedroom/2.5 bath townhome  available right away  2) 3 bedroom/ 2.5 bath house available in the next couple of months.  She handed us the key to the townhouse, and off we went.  PERFECT!  A few minor touch-ups - beetle in the toilet, but nothing that can't be fixed.  Large bedrooms.  Private baths.  Porch.  Storage.  Entertaining.  Even the price was perfect.  Almost half of the place we were going to see next.  So, off we went to view the next place, but application in hand.  Great next house.  Old, but beautiful and in great condition.  Wonderful neighborhood, but only 1 bath and over our budget.  So, we called it a day...but not before we handed in our application and found our new home!  We move in tomorrow.  I think I will sleep a lot better tonight and look forward to saying good-bye to the life of a Nomad.

No comments: