Thursday, June 4, 2009

dracula

Well, I'm waiting on FedEx to come and pick up some blood. Yes, that's right, I have a few ounces of blood hanging out in my refrigerator. I'm sending samples in to have testing done for food and environmental allergies. I'm hoping we can figure out what is still causing me some problems. Meanwhile, after the first stick, the nurse missed my vein. With a 9 gauge needle, it was not comfortable for her to dig that thing around in my arm. After 2 tubes, she gave up and moved to the other arm. At least I made it and filled all the tubes. Now, I just wait for the results.

Last weekend Mike and I journeyed out to Wal-mart. Mike despises that place. I was able to stretch out our visit to check out more of their GF products. While searching from some granola bars, I met a new friend. Sarah doesn't have celiac, but has recently discovered her intolerance to gluten. She has been so overwhelmed with the change in diet, she has just ignored it. I cannot imagine still eating that stuff! By one simple crumb I am so sick now. I haven't picked up an ounce of gluten on purpose since I started the diet and wouldn't go back to eating it for any craving. This week has been the worst with all the delicious looking cake floating around for graduation and retirement. So, I ran home and made my own. I just wish I had some whipped cream and strawberries to top it off. So, Sarah has my number and email, but I haven't heard from her. I'm happy to have a new friend in this journey. I think to just be a network or encouragement to her as much as Katie has been to me, would be such a blessing. (And now if we can just help Becky figure things out. As much as I would hate for her to have to deal with this, I can't think of anyone else I would rather go through this journey with. Too bad we didn't figure this out when we were living together.)

Mike and I are spending the next couple days in Durham for Advance '09. I haven't been to a conference since I left Crusade and I am so encouraged by my short afternoon today. This conference is to encourage and equip church leaders in helping America discover the importance and value of the local church. I heard Driscoll speak for the first time today. Oh how I love the truth that comes out of his mouth! No need to sugar coat the Gospel. Tomorrow and Saturday Piper is speaking and Driscoll will speak again on Saturday. A great blessing as our first year in a church plant draws to a close. I was thinking today of the joy of church planting. There are some many things that excite me about this and I see Mike and I gifted in different ways to continue this journey. I think this really could be a lifetime journey for us, except that whole idea of support year after year. Who knows where the Lord will lead us, but I'm hoping support raising is not in our future for too much longer.

Oh yeah, and a high for week, school is officially over! My last day was Wednesday, but I had a total of 5 classes this week. Time creeped by, but I was excited to see some familiar faces drop in to say hello. Graduation last week was much more emotional than I ever thought. I've only been a part of this community for the last 2 months and already miss my students. How do these teachers that have known the kids for 9 years make it through? What a change this has been! I really love my job and I am so excited for the blessing God has given to us. Now, I'm just trying to figure out if I want to help coach cheerleading or start on my Master's.

Next week, R & R! Hopefully, we're able to enjoy the sun and the rain will go easy on us.

No comments: