Tuesday, March 3, 2009

better late than never

After yesterday's snow day, I had a two hour delay. I have decided that a late arrival is a win-win situation. I'm able to sleep in, but I don't have to figure out a good reason to get out of bed. More so, some snow days have to be made up. Delays - they don't. I can get used to the idea of working a 6 hour shift and getting paid for 8.

So, through all of this and several contemplations in changing jobs recently, I have decided that teaching really is an ideal profession. Here are several reasons why: 1) 180 work days (minus sick/personal leave) 2) Great benefits, at least for the employee 3) An almost guaranteed raise each year 4) Always a demand, especially in the right field 5) An incredible ministry opportunity 6) Endless amount of opportunities, for extracurricular or even advancement 7) Several other ways to ear extra money (extra duties, or hidden benefits, or continuing education, etc) 8) More than decent pay for an average of starting at nearly $25 per hour 9) Getting off by 3 or 4 in the afternoon 10) SNOW DAYS!

So, the moral of the story: teaching is a great profession to consider. I really can't imagine doing anything else right now. I work a lot less than most other people, and may make less than them as well. However, if I needed to bring in more, I could easily tutor for $40-50 an hour, find a part time job, or even work full-time throughout the summer. Don't get me wrong, there are some good and bad positions in teaching. I've experienced both to some degrees. Find your fit with classroom management and finding the administration that fits with your style will help make it more enjoyable. Teaching isn't for everyone. But, it's worth considering.

No comments: