Saturday, February 20, 2010

Shepherd the Flock

I still haven't figured out how to write more. You would think with a week off school, I would find some time, but I managed to fill the winter break with more activities and conversations. The Olympics were always a distraction, but I have found a new book to read, a new favorite recipe, extra exercise, and lots of rest. I'm looking forward to some extra time with students tomorrow and then back to work on Monday. A long stretch until spring break and then again to Memorial Day. I'm always amazed at how fast each year goes by. I can't believe we're nearly in to March. This becomes the time to treasure with great students and motivating them for much more in the future.

I've thought a lot about leadership lately. Anyone that's a teacher knows that the administration makes or breaks a school and teachers. Administration that is always micro-managing, controlling, and unapproachable with new ideas can really hurt a relationship and divide a team. I'm fortunate enough to have never experienced something like that in a school. My administration is very loving, gracious, and helps bring suggestions and advice to make me a better teacher. I remember a moment back at my old school where I was getting supplies before the start of school. The principal was walking in the opposite direction, obviously headed to a meeting of some sort, when he stopped, looked at me and asked if he could carry it. I couldn't believe that someone with much "bigger and better" things to do in his schedule would stop to carry supplies for a teacher. Then I realized, he was a servant leader. You see, the best leader I have found is a servant leader.

So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for the shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock...Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:1-3, 5

I'm thankful for such a great place to work and an incredible team of leadership. I think it is the way that God calls us to in any leadership position. Mike has done an incredible job of leading our marriage in this way, always by example. He learned these things from his parents, who always led by example and did much more than they said. Actions always speak louder than words. I've learned much more about love, especially the love of Christ, through example. My hope and prayer is that I can move more in to a life of humility and lead a family, friends, students, etc. by being an example of humility and keeping the heart of a servant.

No comments: